Top Social

Quilt #6: Lady Bug Love

May 28, 2015


Back in February, I shared with you a quilt I made for El.  It was made out of a large stash of hospital baby blankets I had accumulated after the births of my two daughters.  Lo and behold, the stash was so large that I still had enough scraps for a second quilt!  These baby blankets were the perfect soft, squishy materials to make a soft, squishy blanket.

I had a handful of nine patch blocks floating around after Quilt #2... and so, continued making more blocks til I used up all of the colored bits of the baby blankets.  Using solid color scraps, I created log cabin-esque blocks with the nine patch blocks in the center.  One panel after another... I kept going til I had enough blocks to make a decent size twin blanket.






Some inspirations below:


[Credit:Link]

[Credit:Link]

[Credit:Link]


Did you know? One of the earliest log cabin quilts recorded in history dates back to 1869, according to Barbara Brackman's database.   (Check out Barbara's blog here - there's a lot to look at... quilts, histories, prints, graphical elements!)  In America, the log cabin quilt pattern hit its high note during the third and fourth quarters of the 19th century.

But, according to Women Folk, the log cabin pattern can be found across the Atlantic in Europe during the 1700's.  Maybe not in the form of a quilt, but as patterning for bags and boxes.

But, even before that, there is a British theory called 'the mummy theory' in which during the 1900's, when the first Egyptian tombs were opened, they found the log cabin pattern used with strips of linen wrapped around cat mummies!  Holy Toledo!


[Credit:Link]

Excited by the idea that this quilt was somehow cosmically linked by centuries to an ancient culture, I barrelled on and started putting my pieces together.










After I got Coco's seal of approval, I finished the front and the back panels.


Front

Back

The back panel materials came from donated fabrics, old clothes from the girls (and Phia!), and a chunk of my own baby blanket (Thanks, Mom!)

This quilt is definitely the softest and squishiest blanket I've ever made.  It's got a permanent spot on our couch, it seems.  It captures the very essence of what a quilt is - it's always there when you need it, it feels like that much needed hug, and it will just get softer and softer as it ages.



This quilt is for you, my bold, little lady bug!

Front
Back


Post Comment
Post a Comment