All in the Family



 

Hallo!  Over here in my little Alpine neck of the woods, we have been eagerly awaiting the coming of Spring.  And, if you ask us, it's taking a little too long!  Suffering from a bit of cabin fever, the girls are spinning their wheels around the house.  I, myself, can't wait to break out our stash of Spring clothes still hidden away and hibernating.

Last week, I went rummaging through the girls' closet... trying to weed out any ill-fitting or neglected pieces.  Lo and behold, I found a few T-shirts that the girls no longer wear.  Not wanting to chuck them out with the rubbish... or donate them... a part of me still wanted to keep these guys in the family.


 

And, what better way to recycle than to make them into little stuffed animals - or softies, as I call them!  You can scour Pinterest for tons of ideas on how to recycle old T-shirts.  The shirts I chose make it all too easy!

First, turn the shirt inside out.  Then, mark a half inch seam allowance all around the print area you'd like to capture.  I marked my border lightly with orange tailor's chalk.  Use something light colored - you don't want to risk it showing up on the other side when you are finished.  Sew along this marked line and leave a 1-2" opening along a relatively straight edge.  You will need this opening to turn the bag inside out.  Cut away the remaining T-shirt material while leaving a 1/4" border outside the stitch line.


 


Once turned inside out, my softie looked like this:




Nothing too complicated.  See the bottom seam still open?  I used some stuffing material and then closed the bag using a ladder stitch. 




Et voila!  A few (old but new) friends for El & Lil... and just in time for Easter and snuggles at bed time!




Servus!

Comments

Popular Posts