Tuesday Tidbits - Tasty Delight
|The Ugly Fruit Campaign [Credit: Link]|
* last week, i made a stack of crepes... and not for breakfast with nutella... but for dinner in german pancake soup... first, make a pot of chicken soup... any one will do... then, slice up crepes into strips... add a few scallions... and bob's your uncle.
* ahh, the eggplant... how i am obsessed with you... in the past, i only ate it in a chinese garlic sauce... but now, combined with my introduction to ottolenghi... my culinary mind has been opened. i love you in a roast veggie tart... wrapped around soft pillows of ricotta dumplings... roasted and added to a comforting tomato sauce a la Norma a la Batali... cultivated since the dawn of prehistory in the arab and asian worlds, i am only at the tipping point of my love for you...
* of these five mother sauces, i have figured out all but that old brunch favorite, the hollandaise sauce.
* seriously, could these cookies BE any cuter?
* i'm a thousand miles away from the nearest krispy kreme... these just might do the trick. [wait. krispy kreme is global???]
* [throwing my hands up] really?? the vast majority of 'tuna' we think we are eating is not tuna... it can also be escolar. heads up:
"84% of fish samples labeled "white tuna" were actually escolar, a fish that can cause prolonged, uncontrollable, oily anal leakage."
* on a sweeter note, candied citrus peel. yum.
* time to dust off my pasta maker... hello, fettuccini.
* kombucha king - it just never caught on with me...
* stir-fry's secret weapon
* summer, i mean, pesto season, is right around the corner
* weird. flavor changing milk.
* weekday vegetarian - let's try it... jamie's doing it, too... here's something to kick start you...
* seeds imbedded in our coffee cups - giving our trash a second purpose
* thoughts on indian food... aka why it's so delicious
* this looks so good... Focaccia di Recco
* dealing with food waste
* bakery thieves
* mushrooms can help save the world... plants communicate, people...
* croissant artesans - i love watching bakers baking, don't you???
* NYC food trucks not to miss
* pie crust decorating - easy as pie
* traveling? eat like a local.
* tiny cakes need tiny tools - some people have too much time
* support the ugly food movement
* chefs wish for new tools to be invented.
* baby carrots, they are NOT.
* an important infograph - ben & jerry's ice cream flavors
* vegetable art
* the ugly ducklings of the produce aisle have become swans